Friday, March 21, 2008

Michaels is Discontinuing Classes

I'm so sorry to have to spread the word that Michaels stores are discontinuing their classroom programs effective the end of March. The word has been out for a few weeks, but I wanted to wait to say anything here until all the instructors received their lay-off notices.

I've been teaching at the Michaels in Maple Grove MN for 2-1/2 years. I've created and refined curricula for different levels of loom knitters and for the various looms that ProvoCraft developed. I've shared the craft of loom knitting with countless customers while giving demonstrations in the store, and gotten many people hooked on knitting with looms in the classroom. Not only have I taught technique classes, but also project classes, from hats and scarves to mittens and felted purses and slippers and so much more. Many of my students took multiple classes from me, and some travelled quite a distance. I will truly miss sharing my passion for this craft in-person, one-on-one in the Michaels store.

It's not just Knifty Knitter classes that are discontinued, but all knitting, crocheting, beading, scrapbooking, flower arranging, painting, etc. classes. (The only classes that are staying are the Cake Decorating classes through Wilton.) This is not the first (or second) time Michaels has stopped offering classes, so chances are that classes will again be offered at some time in the future. After all, the Kids Club program has already been replaced by The Knack. You can make your opinion known by calling 1-800-MICHAELs.

1 Comments:

Blogger KimT said...

sorry to hear this news. I am sure a lot of people will be disappointed. I hope you can find a new way to offer your classes and share your passion.

3/22/2008 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home